Thursday, December 27, 2012

Why is the sky blue?

Today was mostly a cloudy, unadventurous, wintery day. But late in the afternoon, the sun came out and the sky looked orange. It wasn't a bloody orange like when the sky is on fire during those warm summer evenings, but it was rather a peachy, delicately coral-tinted sky. And as the sun was slowly setting, the shadows in the clouds turned a light purple. It was a majestic color show.
While I was delighting my sight in those beautiful hues, I wondered why the sky wasn't orange, or purple, or green, or any other color but blue. Why, out of all the colors of the rainbow, the sky had to be blue when the sun is shining upon the earth. I could go on a scientific explanation about why the sky is the color it is, and why there are clouds, and why the sun wakes us up in the morning and puts us to bed at night. But for once in my life, I decided that such a beautiful thing needed no further explanation, that it was okay to just sit back and enjoy the show. I won't worry about why the sky is blue, or why there are fish in the ocean and how four-legged creatures evolved from them. Today, I will breathe in the smell of winter roses and feel the cold in my bones. Today, I will forget about the things that trouble me, and I will just look at the sky and forget to ask why it is blue.



Farewell


Untitled

Through the lines

No comments:

Post a Comment